Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Farmer's Wife Quilt Along week 4


I think I'm beginning to anticipate fall. Most of the fabrics I have pulled for new blocks are all about cooler weather and colorful trees! I can't wait to have the time to put them together. At least I got a couple done this week, I'll take the progress no matter how small. Baby steps, right?


block 5: Bat Wing

I saved a scrap of one of my favorite Echino prints, and when I saw the title of this block I knew it would be perfect! I paired it with some Michael Miller dots, and I just love the combo. Let's say luuurve, because that more accurately reflects my feelings. I ended up paper piecing this one, I only had a little bit of fabric and didn't want to stress the usual sewing/unsewing that I tend to do with triangle blocks.


block 111: Wrench

This block is a combo of new and vintage fabrics. The grey is some of Aneela Hoey's Sherbet Pips, the red is a bit of hearty-vintage goodness from my mom's fabric stash. I remember having some of this pattern in a vest from 4th grade! I pieced it "traditionally," just using measurements (yay math!). So far I haven't used the templates, just measured them out to make sure my math skills aren't that pathetic.

I am thinking I will end up using the templates on a couple blocks, and am thinking of hand piecing a couple of the more challenging ones with Y-seams. I think that technique will yield the best results.


1 comment:

CaliQuilter said...

Your blocks are darling and you are very creative in the fabrics you are using. Do you know the trick for posting a block mosaic? It is helpful in getting an early look at what the quilt will look like when you start to put it together.

If you don't and would like to know how to do it, feel free to flickr mail me!

Caliquilter ~ Joan