The Hungry Caterpillar quilt has been put on hold. There was some sorry drama surrounding the last part of the top construction (mainly me breaking down in the middle of a quilt store after finding out they had sold out of ALL the Eric Carle fabric they had in, then breaking down again after finding out it's been sold out everywhere and won't be reprinted by the manufacturer until mid-late June. Why oh WHY did this project go thru so many re-designs??).
Well, I ended up moving on and starting over.I had some cute fruit flannel left over from making wipes, so I decided to keep working with applique and made fruit blocks out of some cool fabric on white flannel. I used some of that wonder-under iron on stuff to adhere the fabric, then zig-zag stitched around the shapes. It didn't take long to put together (I kept the pattern super-simple after all the headache of the Caterpillar quilt).
I ended up not using batting. The weight of the flannel and the weight of the super-soft chenille fabric I used as the backing seemed like it would be enough. It's going to be summer after all and if this little babe is anything like his papa, his or her internal furnace will keep things toasty enough.I also used satin blanket binding for the first time. What a pain to work with. I'll probably go back to making my own for the next one. So, here's the final gift for the new babe. Now if only these intermittent contractions would get organized enough, we'd be in business for labor and on our way to finally meeting this little niblet!